Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Buying a Toothbrush: Did you know some destroy your gums?

There has been many a time when I'm in the drugstore and have no idea what toothbrush to buy so I look for one's that guarantee to remove more plaque and make my purchase. I have no idea that the toothbrush I am going to buy can potentially destroy my gums. My post is going to talk about toothbrush design and what is actually best for your dental health.

You've all been in the dental isle and debated what toothbrush to buy. This one's more expensive than this one, this one has little rubber things to help clean my gums, this one looks too plain...etc. However, one usually has no clue what actual toothbrush to buy and picks the one that guarantees to remove all plaque, prevent gingivitis, etc. Buying a toothbrush is more complex than that and requires proper selection for your best dental health.

I learned about buying a toothbrush today while at the dentist. I was told I have some slight gum decay which is caused by using the wrong toothbrush, brushing too hard, and potentially having braces. I thought ok, fair enough. Most of us think the harder and faster we brush the more effectively cleaned our teeth will be, right? Well, that one's false, you're supposed to brush slow because brushing too fast will damage the gums.

Now, on to toothbrushes. When you buy a toothbrush you want to make sure you have soft or extra soft bristles. Those are going to be most effective at cleaning your teeth, anything harder is going to damage your gums. You also have to look at the design of the bristles, you want ones that have higher bristles in the middle and lower bristles on the outside. The design of the bristles is crucial because all these fancy new designs are actually not good for your gums, as well as the fact that most toothbrushes sold are not soft bristled. This is all because the toothbrush companies want to make money. Most of the time you're best going with the cheaper less fancy toothbrush.
You can also buy an electric toothbrush, which is suppose to be fine for your gums.

This is my advice on buying toothbrushes. Talk to you dentist next time you get your teeth cleaned, see what they have to say on the topic.
Here's an article I also read on it http://www.wisegeek.com/what-should-i-consider-when-buying-a-toothbrush.htm
And I couldn't find a good pic for you today.
As always,
Stay Strong,
-trev

No comments:

Post a Comment