Tuesday, March 13, 2012

The Sunny Athlete Runs Into Rain


It's Spring in Vermont and the temperature has suddenly jumped from 20 to 60-70 degrees F and everyone seems to be on a running kick. It's funny but the weather determines whose a real athlete and whose out cause it's nice and they want to get a little more in-shape. Once the weather is cold or rains I will run and see almost no one, once it's 70 and sunny I am waving at runners left and right. It's not bad to be a good weather athlete, however that athlete needs a substitute activity to stay in shape on the gloomy days.

I highly recommend athletes or people trying to get in-shape to make a training schedule and stick to it the matter what. I have recently done this and it forces me to do what I have planned. Check it off after each day, saying YOU completed that activity. My goal today was to swim about a mile and do a 5k. I noticed due to my schedule the only time I was going to be able to go during open pool hours was at 7am. I set my alarm clock last night and got up at 6:40. NO EXCUSES, it doesn't matter as long as I get it done. I may be tired, I may have work to do, but I am going to stick to my plan. MY HEALTH IS MOST IMPORTANT. I was afraid it was going to rain for my run but stayed dry, which was nice especially cause I fell and scraped myself up. Most people have time to squeeze a workout in their day and instead they go on Facebook or waste time elsewhere, making a schedule makes one's workout a higher priority than certain other activities. It also forces one to run or still train in rain, wind, snow, or brutal heat. (just prepare yourself properly beforehand)

If one doesn't like working out when it's not nice outside it's understandable but look at other options. Does one like going to the pool? using the stationary bike while reading? lifting weights? playing on indoor tennis courts? there are plenty of options. If one doesn't want to leave his or her room, consider purchasing workout dvds. Workout DVD's are one tv for a reason, they're convenient, can do them in your living room with little equipment, and are often well tested with scientific evidence. These DVD's can often be extremely hard, I advise do what you can. If you can only do 8 push-ups and not 20, that's still great! Also, don't be afraid to break and pause the workout to catch your breath.

Just some thoughts!
Enjoy the weather!
Stay Strong,
Trevor

Picture from http://fitbottomedgirls.com/2010/09/we-love-bob-harpers-new-workout-dvds/
It also has reviews of all Bob Harper workout dvds. For those who don't know Bob Harper is a trainer on the TV show The Biggest Loser.

No comments:

Post a Comment