Sunday, February 26, 2012

A Mess Creates More Mess:Having a Productive Workspace


I firmly believe that a clean desk boosts productivity. Even a desk that seems organized with a lot of objects and papers on it still isn't as productive as a desk that is completely empty. When there are other objects on one's desk they are distractions from the task at hand. It also can be hard to decide where to get started than if your desk was blank.

An empty desk creates a work environment where all you have to do is tackle the challenge that you meant to take. It means you can sit down, start your homework or whatever, and just tackle it out with zero distractions. There is a good reason why many students go to the library to tackle their homework, it's because they sit down at a clean desk, pull out what they need to do and get working; there are very few distractions at the library.

Personally, my desk is organized but not empty. Despite it is organized I still can't spread out my papers on hand as I'd like too and find myself thinking about the other objects on my desk. I understand that the best step I could take would be to just put objects in my desk drawers, however I have not gotten around to it. My desk can also be a deposit of random objects collected in a day, which are also a disturbance from my work. I need a random object box and a box of desk supplies instead of just leaving them on my desk.

I do recommend a plant or fish if you have a large desk, just to keep you happy and from going insane; however, use caution and thought with other objects.
If you have too much trouble cleaning your desk the best solution is to not work there, go elsewhere if you can. Go to the library, a lounge, a cafe, the dining hall, etc. However, do not work in your bed. One's bed is meant to sleep in, doing other work in your bed that is not sleep or sex can create sleep problems (from what I have read).

Good luck,
Be Productive!
and Stay Strong!
-T-rev
(Picture from http://blog.uvolve.com/?tag=success)
Great tips as well. You should check out that link.

No comments:

Post a Comment