Wednesday, February 22, 2012

"I prepare to suffer more than I have ever suffered." -Chrissie Wellington


It's Tuesday Morning in beautiful Vermont and I decided to wake up and go for a run.
I hadn't ran for a couple days, so today's run was well needed. There are a couple things that keep me going through a long run:
-The Biggest Loser (thinking of all the workouts they do on that show and are 300+ pounds, that will be for a different post)
-And Chrissie Wellington, Ironman Triathlete, World Champion, Regarded as one of the fittest people in the world.
For those that do not know, an Ironman is a 2.4mile swim, 112 mile bike ride, and then a 26.2 mile run. This all needs to be completed within 17 hours to be considered an ironman, however athletes like Wellington do it in around 8 hours and 30 min to about 9 hours. Her fastest time and world record is 8:18:13 with a marathon time of 2:44:35, also a world record. Considering the intensity of these events that is incredible, and at the race she set the world record only 4 guys finished in front of her and only the men's winner had a faster marathon time then she did; she is scaring the guys, making them think they might get beat by a female. (while in most sports men biologically have an advantage)
I first discovered Wellington when I watched the Ford Ironman 2008 World Championships on Hulu. I did not know much about the event or competitors until I watched this movie. It really inspires me to continue working out and to increase my intensity or run that extra mile when running. There is one quote she says: "I prepare to suffer more than I have ever suffered." She says this because the ironman is such a long distance endurance event that it is not easy on the body and is very much a mental race as well as physical. If I am having a bad swim or run I will say that to myself as inspiration to keep on going and to give it my best. I may only be swimming a mile, which isn't much, but if I'm having a bad day I'll say that to myself and give myself that push I need.
I would also like to comment that Wellington went pro in the beginning of 2007 after winning the amateur triathlon world championships she started competing in olympic distance events. In the summer/fall her coach suggested she compete in an ironman. On August 26th, 2007, she competed in ironman Korea and placed first for women, 7th overall, and was about 50 min ahead of the 2nd place female racer. That qualified her for Ironman World Championship in Kona Hawaii. She entered this competition unknown and won the race. Her win is considered one of the biggest shocks in triathlon/sports history because she was unknown, only her 2nd ironman, and she was racing against the best in the world. From there on she has never lost a race at the ironman distance.
For more info I do recommend wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrissie_Wellington
Stay Strong!
What do you all think of Wellington?
-Trevor
(Picture from http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersports/article-1317286/Chrissie-Wellington-Only-matter-time-women-beat-men-Ironman.html)

No comments:

Post a Comment