Sunday, April 1, 2012

Making It Personal -Current Health Trends.


I recently thought this blog is not personal enough and therefore I need to make it more personal.
I need to discuss my thoughts, my joys, my experiments and what I think the newest trends are in health.

Current Trends:

-Barefoot Running! This started a few years ago with the vibram five finger shoes, that look ugly and weird to most, however they are great for people's feet when run in properly. This trend really started to take off with Christopher McDougall's book Born to Run which talks about ultrarunning and the shoe industry. I personally love this book and therefore recommend it to everyone. I do caution one's who try barefoot running to do more research on technique and also to take it slow, the back of one's calves will kill after a barefoot run.

-Diet drinks: such as zero calorie drink. Almost all of these are sweetened with artificial sweeteners and are therefore bad for you. Most sports drinks are unless you're in an intense endurance sporting event. Avoid all diet drinks and their artificial sweeteners. Drink water or tea instead.

-Too much sodium: Prepare your own food as much as you can to avoid this. We consume way too much sodium.

-Fitness Apps. I don't know much about these but if they encourage you to exercise they can't be bad, right?

-Zumba: I have never done it but I hear its fun and a great workout. For those who don't know, zumba is a type of dance work out.

-Weight Watchers: Learn to eat healthy for life. Jenifer Hudson is looking good!

-Sleep: People still do not get enough sleep which causes a list of problems. Do I really need to say them? Imagine how you feel when you get a lack of sleep. Get 8 hours, lets stop glamorizing lack of sleep.

Finally, I wish walking was a current health trend. Walk to work, walk to the store, walk for fun, etc. People drive way too much, even just 2 minutes down the road. We were born with two legs, lets use them.
Also, Lack of adventure. Many people are too afraid to get sweaty, dirty, climb trees, swim lakes, and just act like a child on many of the adventures children will take. That is free fitness while one generally has to pay for the gym. I wish people would stop thinking of the gym as the key way to lose weight.

These are a few thoughts and I'm sure there are many others.
Best,
Trevor

Pic from http://activeredkickboxingandfitness.blogspot.com/2011/11/hey-there-today-we-are-bringing-you.html

1 comment: